Ijebu Ife, the old district of Ijebu province lying south east of Ijebu Ode contains three distinct units: the Ijebu Ife village area, the Isele village area, and a group of village and scattered hamlets named after the largest village, Ogbere having a distance of about 22 kilometres from Ijebu-Ode. Ogbere serves as headquarters to Ijebu East Local Government formed in 1976. In the Lekki lagoon area at the south end of this area is a sandy beach and extensive lagoon front that may be developed for tourism.
According to the Ajalorun, who was the head chief of the area, ancestors were the first Ijebu migrants from Ile-Ife in about 1450. The second migration took place in about 1470 under the first Awujale and the Ajalorun came under his domination. This claim however, together with the subsequent one on the autonomy of his seat were repudiated as unfounded.